Can you believe it??!! After 2 years, ISTE is back in person! I cannot tell you how excited I am! ISTE is my time to recharge my passion and reconnect with my EdTech fam. This ISTE is especially exciting because it will be my first live ISTE event as a member of the Board of Directors!
My district always brings a team to the conference and in my previous role, I would share some tips & tricks with the group. Today it brings me great joy to share these tips with you!
Straight To The Source
ISTE already has great information about how to prepare for this momentous event. Check out their guide to ISTELive 22 https://www.iste.org/explore/professional-development/your-guide-istelive-22
ISTE days are extraordinarily long, so I recommend that you nab the following “tools”:
- Portable Battery Charger – Amazon Link
- Compact Surge Protector – Amazon Link
- Comfortable shoes – Attendees get in as many as 20,000 steps throughout the day.
- Book bag for devices and things given out in the exhibit hall. If you’re not presenting, just having your iPad will be fine.
- As we all know, the food around and in the convention center will be expensive. A suggestion is to pack snacks to have with you.
New Orleans Restaurant Recommendations:
- Brunch Places Recommended to me are Mother’s and any of the Ruby Slipper Cafes. Cafe du Monde for the Beignets.
- Here’s a document that has a full list of places! Thanks @Nikole Blanchard!
- Labels for the Expo Hall that include:
- Job Title
- Work Address
- Phone Number
What Sessions Should I Attend?
Don’t know where to start? Click here for sample schedules that might help you navigate the conference.
Use the conference website or the app to narrow down your choices….choose all that interest you and then you can narrow it down even further.
ISTE Conference Website: https://conference.iste.org/2022/program/search/
Need a way to map it all out? Here’s a Google Sheet Planning document if you’re interested.
Pre-Registration Required Events
There are a few events that require pre-registration. I’m dropping the total list here, but here are a few of my favorites!
- Future Ready Library Media Specialists Summit
- Creating and Using Formative Assessments in Nearpod
- Nailed It!
- 5 Time-Saving Technology Tricks for School Librarians (and Other Educators!)
- 20 Ways to Increase Accessibility With an iOS Device
There are so many social events that are hosted by vendors. Many of them offer free food and drinks, plus the opportunity to hang out and mingle with other educators. Educators know how to party!
Here is an ISTE after hours calendar 📅 webcal://p35-caldav.icloud.com/published/2/MjE0MjA2MTgwMjE0MjA2MXuwFEVN6gkB04eMeJnzjq_yXx4iCDNPho5t2qSoE_-lpsZtvxmgSB9fRNQ89ZPk89-tlKgEcd03trG9EdzD728
EdTech Karaoke on Tuesday night is a great way to close out the conference. It is a ticketed event but it’s free.
COVID Health and Safety Guidelines
All attendees must show proof of vaccination OR a negative test taken no earlier than Saturday, June 25 to pick up an ISTELive 22 badge.
To simplify and speed up badge pickup, ISTELive is using a secure third-party platform (CLEAR) to collect proof of vaccination or the negative test. Once you have provided your proof of vaccination or a negative test result in the CLEAR app and picked up your badge, you will not need to verify your vaccination status or test again. We recommend completing the CLEAR process before you arrive at the conference.
Read all the COVID Health and Safety Policies.
If you’re a first timer or a veteran, ISTE always has something exciting to offer! I hope to connect with many of you, so if you have an opening in your jam-packed schedule, come check out our ISTE Board Members session.
Fireside Chat With the ISTE Board: Recover, Reconnect and Reimagine Professional Learning
Monday, June 27, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.
Location: MCCNO Room 391-2
Hope to see you there!